In light of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency, voting in person may not be an option for the June 9 primary. (NOTE: As of April 9, the primary was postponed from May 19 to June 9 by order of Governor Kemp.)
Apply NOW for Your Vote-By-Mail Ballot
- Download, fill out and email your absentee ballot application as an attachment to email@example.com.
- Alternatively, fill out the absentee ballot application form which should come in the mail to your address.
- FAQ: COVID-19 Impact on Voting
Click the links below for step by step instructions:
Call the Voter Protection Hotline with any questions. There has never been a more important time to vote.
For Campaigns and Outreach
As per the DPG, we recommend that all candidate campaigns suspend in-person events and to switch as much as possible to virtual campaigns. Tools which are available for campaigns:
- Video/Audio Streaming
- Staff and Volunteer Discussions
- Conducting Engagement and Elections
- Google Forms
- Vote by Mail
- SMS Polling
The Democratic Party of Georgia is committed to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of all Georgians. The Party has enacted emergency measures to combat the spread of COVID-19:
- Georgia’s Presidential Preference Primary has been postponed until Tuesday, June 9th.
- Democratic Party of Georgia Headquarters will be closed from March 13 onwards, with all staff working remotely, until further notice.
- All DPG events scheduled are postponed until further notice. This includes fundraisers, community events, party meetings, and organizing events.
- All organizing efforts, including direct voter contact, will shift from in-person work to virtual work, and we encourage campaigns to do the same.
Elections & Voter Protection
The Georgia Presidential Primary will be postponed to June 9 to join the regular primary and nonpartisan local elections. Every single vote already cast will be counted, and every voter that has not had the opportunity to cast a ballot will be able to do so on June 9. We encourage all voters to vote by mail for the foreseeable future, beginning with the June 2020 Primary.
The DPG’s voter protection program and hotline will continue to operate throughout this period – please continue to urge voters to call our hotline at 888-730-5816 with any questions or concerns before Election Day on June 9.
Instructions on how to vote by mail: https://www.georgiademocrat.org/vote/
Delegate Selection for 2020 National Convention
Previously, the Democratic Party of Georgia had Delegate Selection meetings scheduled for Saturday, April 11 — these events have been postponed. Georgia Democrats have now updated the Delegate Selection Plan in conjunction with the Democratic National Committee:
- Georgia is allocated 129 delegates, nine of whom will be alternates.
- 68 District-Level delegates will be elected via online voting within the delegates’ congressional district on April 25, 2020. There are no District-Level alternates.
- 14 Party Leaders and Elected Officials (PLEOs) will be elected via online voting by the 68 district level delegates on May 30, 2020.
- On June 13, 2020, 23 At-Large Delegates and nine alternates will be elected by the State Committee of the Democratic Party of Georgia via online voting.
If you want to participate in this process, here’s how:
- Before April 5, 2020: Candidates for election as District-level Delegates (for CD-04, CD-05 and CD-06) to the Democratic National Convention must submit this completed and scanned form as an email attachment to DNC2020@GeorgiaDemocrat.org, or sent by postal mail to
- The Democratic Party of Georgia
- DNC Delegate Selection 2020
- PO Box 89202
- Atlanta, GA 30312
- Mon, April 13 – Fri, April 17: If you’re a Democrat, pledging your support to a presidential candidate and legally residing in the congressional district in which you’re voting, you can register online as a Delegate Elector through a Google Form OR by calling designated phone numbers. DPG makes registration form available by CD Chair/County Chair promotion, by emailing link to State Committee, and by allowing Delegate candidates to distribute link. Form will be available on the DPG website and emailed (along with phone numbers for call-in registration) to above stakeholders on April 13. Registration closes at midnight on the night of April 17. CD CHAIRS AND THEIR VOLUNTEERS will be responsible for using VoteBuilder to credential electors for voting.
- Sat, April 25: 9am – 5pm voting period. At 9am, DPG emails ballots (Google form) to credentialled Electors from the April 6-17 registration period. Electors may submit their Google form OR call designated numbers to vote. Forms/calls must be submitted by 5pm. NOTE: There will be no provisions for speechmaking by District-Level Delegate candidates; candidates must campaign in advance with potential voters. List of qualified voters will be made available to qualified District-Level Delegate candidates.
- Wed, May 20, 2020: Pledged Party Leader and Elected Official (PLEO) candidate DEADLINE for filing the statement of candidacy and pledge of support forms with State Party
- Sat, May 30: voting period. At 9am, DPG emails ballots (Google form) to 68 District-Level Delegates. Delegates may submit their Google form OR call designated numbers to vote. A Zoom/Maestro Conference will be set up for PLEO candidates to make speeches to District-Level Delegates. Forms/calls must be submitted by 5pm.
- Mon, June 1: At-Large and At-Large: Alternate candidate DEADLINE for filing the statement of candidacy and pledge of support forms with State Party
- Tue, June 9: Primary Day
- Sat, June 13: voting period. At 9am, DPG emails ballots (Google form) to all State Committee Members. SCMs may submit their Google form OR call designated numbers to vote. A Zoom/Maestro Conference will be set up for At-Large candidates to make speeches to SCMs. Forms/calls must be submitted by 5pm.
- Sat, June 20: Conference call / Zoom Conference / Maestro conference with all 129 Delegates participating.
- Mon August 17 – Thu August 20, 2020: Democratic National Convention (tentative)
For more information on the new plan, please contact Justin Pitts by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the meantime, we encourage you to take steps to protect yourself and others:
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Check in with vulnerable people in your community who might need help during this crisis.
- Where possible, avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Call your doctor before visiting and follow their protocols.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
The DPG will continue to monitor the guidance of public health officials closely, and we will be in touch with further updates as this issue continues. Thank you for your help as we face this crisis together, and please stay safe.
Since we want to make sure our community stays safe, we’re sharing some resources that we think may help you through this new and challenging time in our history.
For updates on COVID-19 (coronavirus), please refer to:
- The official CDC page: CDC.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- The Georgia Department of Public Health: https://dph.georgia.gov/
- DeKalb County Government: https://www.dekalbcountyga.gov/Covid-19/Response
- DeKalb County School District: https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/covid-19/
Resources for those affected by economic changes:
- Free Internet for low income families
- GA Department of Labor Unemployment information
- Disaster Relief Loans for Small Businesses
- Several companies in Atlanta are ramping up hiring
- Find food assistance near you.
- Donate medical supplies to Phoebe in Albany
- Atlanta Public School emergency food distribution sites
- DeKalb County School District emergency food distribution sites and Digital Learning Days
- Georgia presidential primary delayed until May due to coronavirus
- Raffensberger considering mailing absentee ballots to older voters automatically
Ways you can help:
- Donate to the Atlanta Community Food Bank
- Donate to North Fulton Community Charities
- Order takeout or delivery from your favorite local restaurants (or buy a gift certificate, or check to see if they have a Gofundme site set up)
For more information:
- Video from PBS on the Covid-19 Virus: https://youtu.be/bQZ5F-iTFYA
- Tips for minimizing risk and keeping healthy during the coronavirus outbreak.