Meet Your DeKalb County
DeKalb Dems is your connection to the heartbeat of the Democratic Party. By being active with the DeKalb Dems, you can learn about upcoming elections and candidate, and you can participate in volunteer activities that will make our Party stronger. One of our most important groups year in and year out is the Get Out the Vote committee. District by district, there are opportunities for volunteers to help improve voter turnout and Democratic performance. There are also opportunities to work with DeKalb Dems as a voting member within the Georgia Democratic Party (GDP) or as a post seat holder from your House District in DeKalb County. Check out the scope of our committees to see what interests you the most. We invite you to stand with us in our important work.
Local County Committee Elections
At the DeKalb County Committee level, we elect Post Seat Holders, Executive Committee members, and two State Committee Members every two years. The elections for 2023 positions have already been held, but we will inform you when we approach the elections for 2025.
- Affirmative Action – Ladena Bolton and Bridgemon Bolger
- Audit – Spencer Hostetter
- Awards – Jazzmin Cobble
- Budget and Finance – Cindy Wilsky
- By-Laws – Andrew Heaton
- Campaign Research – Steven Strasberg
- Candidate Development – Councilwoman Stephe Koontz
- Communications – Larry Lowe
- Fundraising – Brandi Wyche
- GOTV – Karen Davenport
- Membership – Paula Anderson
- Party Organization and Development – Amy Swygert
- Policy and Legislation – to be determined
- Special Events – Steve Parker and Gloria Moore
- Technology – Jessi Parker
- Election Procedures – Elizabeth Burns
Dekalb Dems' State Committee Members
- CD 1 – Larry Lowe and Karen Mixon
- CD 2 – Andrew Heaton and Ann Abramowitz
- CD 3 – Gloria Moore and Tommy Travis
- CD 4 – Melva Hicks and Kenneth Royal
- CD 5 – Billy Mitchell and Dorothy Wiley
- CD 6 – Don Richards, Amy Swygert, and vacant
- CD 7 – George Chidi, Josephine Handy-Sewell, and Janel Green
DeKalb House District Committees
Post Seat Holders from each House District in DeKalb County constitute a House District Committee. District Committees elect a District Chair and the District Chairs serve on the Party’s Steering Committee. The committee is empowered to fill vacancies and appoint additional non-voting members called “alternates”.
The District Committees’ purpose is to support their constituency before the County Committee and to be the Democratic “eyes and ears” to their respective State Representative regardless of the legislator’s political affiliation. The relationship with the legislator is informal but also vital to letting our voice be heard in state government. In addition to being the Democratic voice in the House District, the committee is charged with organizing the District’s Democrats into a powerful political organization on Election Day and year-round.